Weather ok – for working in the Greenhouse

Although sunny and temperatures in the 8 degC area, the stiff westerly breeze made being outside uncomfortable – as I can vouch from my early morning run where I seemed to spend the first 5 miles or so running into the very cold wind.

The answer was of, course, to work in the green house where the temperature reached 24 degC at one point – making it rather uncomfortable in my pullover (well I did have to be outside for some of the time).

Anyway, the first thing was to get some more broad beans planted and I planted a dozen in pots, this time ‘Aquadulce’ as I don’t trust the remaining ‘Sutton’ beans. I may try soaking some and starting them outside pots to see if they are actually viable.

I also had 50 Freesias to plant, they came as a ‘free’ offer with another order of plants. Not really wanting to plant them in the rather wet and cold ground outside I managed to fit them into 4 large pots which I’ll keep in the greenhouse until they show some signs of growing – I can if needed sink the pots with the freesias in them into suitable spots in the garden when the weather is warmer.

I had planted a long container with salad leaves in December as an experiment and kept it inside the greenhouse. A few plants germinated and grew, but not enough to be of use. I cleared them out, refreshed the compost, and have planted half with ‘cut ‘n come again’ leaves and the other half with ‘salad leaves’ and again I’ll keep it in the greenhouse until it is warmer outside.

I’m also trying to get ahead on the tomato and pepper front – so I’ve sown some ‘pomodoro’, ‘ailsa craig’ and the last two sweet ‘n neat’ (bush type small fruit type) seeds and put the pots into one of the propagators to get started. One pot also has some sweet pepper seeds as a test – I seem to remember they didn’t germinate last year. New seeds are on order so it’s not a disaster if they don’t come through (both tomato & peppers are on order).

Lastly, I’ve emptied the old water butt that had some material for composting in it (and put most into the new bin) and put it over the rhubarb to force it – the plant has just shown signs of sprouting, so clearly has survived the winter ok.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.