Clearing Up Started

Yes, finally I managed to spend a bit of time in the garden clearing up.

I know the broad beans were finished a long time ago, but I did leave the roots and a short stem in to see if they would produce a second crop, which sometimes happens. Well, they didn’t so I had to tackle the job of clearing up all the string and canes plus pulling the roots up. Interestingly, the roots of the ‘De Monica’ had a tap root up to 6″ long in some cases, quite different from ‘The Sutton’ and other varieties I’ve grown.

At the same time I cleared away all the pea plants from the bed near the greenhouse, most of the plants were dead in any case.

So at the end of it all I had three beds clear. No real plans for them as yet, except that the one which had the peas I’ll probably plant a green manure crop – I think I still have some seed.

One bed clear -not the tomatoes still ripening behind

One bed clear (ex broad bean) – note the tomatoes still ripening behind

Speaking of seed, it won’t be long before I have to start thinking about next years crops – already the online nurseries are sending me offers for spring plants….

Still haven’t finished picking the blackcurrants though, nor started tackling the brambles – still a good excuse just now, it’s raining….

Still plenty of tomatoes – had to make a batch of tomato sauce yesterday to consume several pounds, and even more were taken to Belgium the other day but that’s another story.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.